Thursday, April 10, 2008

Week 9 Podcasts and Audio

I was really looking forward to this week, but found myself given a quick lesson in frustration. I love my Podcasts and Vodcasts (video podcasts), but I have come to the conclussion that accessing them is WAY easier and less stressful with iTunes and my iPod. Having said that I will also state that I did get something useful out of this weeks lesson. I now know how to easily add feds that aren't easily tracked down using iTunes (some Australian websites have great casts that aren't accessed through the iTunes search and RSS) and that I can actually access podcasts without my iPod or iTunes (though not as easily).

So I ended up splitting this week into two days, I just got to frustrated using Juice (the program I ended up using to download and manage my feeds on my work computer) and needed to let my mind simmer on how it really worked. After letter it simmer for a night I came back the next day and got it to work soo easily (compared to yesterday). While it works and does the job I still prefer my iTunes. It is just so user friendly. You tell it what you want and walk away from it and the next time you log onto iTunes it downloads what you want really quickly (I used to be impressed with iTunes speed, but after waiting for the downloads on Juice I'm even more impressed) and then you can either watch it on your computer or plug your iPod (or mp3 player) in and it dumps it all on there for you to take away! How easy is that? (In case you hadn't guessed I'm a Mac/Apple fan from way back)

I breifly trawled through some of the Library sites that had casts, only to find that some of them were near impossible to find the cast, while others were simple to find and interesting to see what they were using podcasts for. I loved the idea of using the casts to get readers into a book, or to keep them up to date with what was happening in their library. But I found it really frustrating when the link said that they had podcasts and no matter where I looked I couldn't find it....might have just been me.

Also loved the education casts, I've found a couple that I'll probably look into more when I have a spare couple of hours....ok so maybe I'll get them for my iPod and try learning them while I sleep :oP

As for using Yahoo Podcast Search? Well I guess I must have been doing something wrong because while I could search for audio and video the results that I got were not what I'd call podcasts. Yes I could download the stuff I found (and some if it was from pay sites which I didn't do for this) most of what I found were from file share sites or peer to peer sites. The only way that I could better search for podcasts of any discription was to type in the key words and put podcast or video podcast at the end of the search.

So my conclusion after this week?

I'm sticking with iTunes and my iPod.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

I agree with you re iTunes - Mac software wins hands-down every time. But still, you've tried the others now!

And I admire your 'promise' to learn in your sleep via your iPod - let me know how it goes :-)

Victoria