Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Week 8 Explore, Discover and Adventure


Answer Boards and Social Searching, what can you say about that. In short, I think it can be a great resource. But like with all resources available it can be prone to abuse and misuse. I have acutally used Yahoo Answers to answer a reference enquiry in the past because we had exhausted all of our resourses, and though I only got a couple of answers to my question (it really was a strange one) the answers I got were exactly what we were after, so it was all good! But having looked around a little on Yahoo Answers this time I was surprised at some of the answers that were being posted, one or two word answers (ok yes sometimes that is all you need) and sometimes the answers didn't even stand up to the most basic of research. However there are some out there who really do give great answers and they make all the difference!

I love the idea of "slamming the boards", it's a great way of reminding people about libraries and that we don't just have books anymore we have soooo much more! But we need to find a way to get that back out to the people who don't use libraries because they either don't have the time or they think of them as dark dusty places where you have to be quiet (I love that one, definately not quiet here or many other libraries that I've been to recently) that only has shelves and shelves of books that are hard to find.

We have talked about (and been asked about) having an answer board type thing on our web site, and while we have talked about it the one thing that keeps coming back is time. I know that finding time to just keep our website up to date and working is very hard what with all the other jobs that we have to do around here, and the thought of having a "ask a librarian" component is both exciting and terrifying. Simply put we just don't have the time to do it :o(

However having said that we don't have the time, I can see myself spending a little time every month doing my little part "slamming the boards".

For the adventure this week? Well lets just say I used it as a two fold exercise. First up I was putting in my time doing this fun course :oD and then also taking some time to exercise my net searching skills looking for some answers. I had a ball! And ok so I researched a couple of questions that I didn't actually post answers to but still it was great fun doing the research.

Now it's time to start fighting my new addiction........answerboards!


Oh and if anyone is interested the picture was found on Flickr and is by *regina*

2 comments:

pls@slnsw said...

. I agree it feels like time is the problem with things klike answer boards but I guess if that is where our clients are coming to is that where we should be putting some resources?
You look like you are having fun with the program, I hope you can get out there and slam.

Leanne

CatyJ said...

Once you start Slamming you rarely stop - it's a delightful compulsion!
The most wonderful thing that has come out of it though is you have found yourself developing & refining net-searching skills, ones that are already good but now are so much better.

Well done. Welcome to the crowd!!